Never the right time, gear, light or place but never say no!
My reaction to this has always been to cringe, my mind racing to the gear I don’t have, the poor light or a million other excuses. This is all part of why people need a professional photographer to take their images for them and why we always get better results.
This precise scenario arose recently with a friend wanting some images of the great food produced by their kitchens to promote their restaurant. Food photography is well known as quite a difficult area of photography to get right.
The gear I had was just my SLR and flash gun. Not the ideal setup and with the images to be shot in the kitchens themselves, during a busy food service just before the food went out to the diners, the pressure was going to be on!
Overall I was really pleased with the images I produced, especially as I had no time for prep and considering that in a normal commercial arrangement I would have insisted on completely different conditions for the shoot.
- Plate to Pixel: Digital Food Photography and Styling (texaskitchen.wordpress.com)
- Best Food Photography (detectiveswearglasses.wordpress.com)
- Bad Restaurant Food Photography – Brooklyn Edition (coedmagazine.com)
- Food Photography (photographyfraud.wordpress.com)
- Why is food photography so expensive? (foodservicewarehouse.com)